[Tweeters] Tukwila Pond

Paul Webster paul.webster at comcast.net
Sun Apr 9 15:30:09 PDT 2006

Hi Tweets,

Just south of Southcenter Mall proper we knew of a small sign for Tukwila Pond, west of the Target store on Strander Blvd, but had never checked it out. Early this morning we had some extra time on the way to SeaTac Airport and stopped for a look. We found a nicely-maintained mitigation project, with a lake measuring about 400 by 200 yards, and some small marshy areas. In about 15 minutes we logged 22 common species, including our first Barn Swallows of the season. This site might not reward fighting the traffic around Southcenter to get there during business hours, but we'll probably check it out from time to time when traffic is light.

Pied-billed Grebe

Double-crested Cormorant

Great Blue Heron

Mallard