[Tweeters] Birds of the week, 9-April-2006, A-t Flycatcher and Baird's Sandpiper

Jeff Kozma jkozma at charter.net
Wed Apr 12 21:37:37 PDT 2006

My fondest memory of an Ash-throated Flycatcher was when I was doing research on nesting birds in the Chihuahuan Desert in southern New Mexico. During June of almost every year we would get a hatch of some kind of locust that was very large and noisy. One time I saw an Ash-throated Flycatcher catch one and proceed to carry it back to a perch and attempt to eat the thing. Out loud I told him to catch a few thousand more! It was quite a sight. We also banded one that we recaptured 5 years later making the bird at least 6 years old. During the heat of the day we would find them hiding on the shady side of large Yuccas (torreyi and elata) to stay cool. They were neat birds to have around in the desert because they always seemed curious and would check me out while I was nest searching or doing point counts.

Not much to say on Baird's Sandpipers except they were one of the first peeps I attempted to ID while they were mixed in with Western, Semi-palmated, and Least pipers.

Jeff Kozma