[Tweeters] Trip Report: Austin, Tx

Jonathan Hoekstra jhoekstra at tnc.org
Tue Apr 25 20:25:44 PDT 2006

Tweets,

Thanks to the many of you who offered great suggestions for birding (and
eating and enjoying music) around Austin, TX.  I was there for a conference,
but stayed the weekend to enjoy some birding and hiking in the area with
friends and family.  In all, I got out for three mornings of birding, and
had a great time.  We were fortunate to arrange a visit to The Nature
Conservancy's Barton Springs Preserve, to wander the famed Hornsby Bend, and
to hike Pedernales State Park for a day.

Highlights included:

Barton Springs:
Golden-cheeked warbler (also saw and heard at Pedernales)
Scissor-tailed flycatcher (que pajaro!)
Summer tanager
Lark sparrow

Hornsby Bend:
Little blue heron
Black-bellied whistling duck
Least grebe
Sora (great looks!)

Pedernales
Another golden-cheeked warbler
Great hiking

In all, we saw 70+ species, including 16 first-timers.

Cheers,
Jon Hoekstra
Seattle, WA