[Tweeters] 4/25 South Sound migrants and shorebirds

bill shelmerdine georn1 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 26 07:38:58 PDT 2006

Greetings Tweeters,
Yesterday there seemed to be a notable movement of migrants in this area.
Significant numbers of Golden Crowned Sparrows showed up in several areas
yesterday after being notably scarce at those locations recently. Also
yesterday I noted my first of the year Pacific Slope Flycatcher and Wilson’s
Warbler. The flycatcher at least seems late to me.
In the Mud Bay area, shorebird numbers have been building since the
beginning of the week. Yesterday afternoon, the high tide haul out at Perry
Creek contained 200 to 300 Dunlin, ~130 Black-bellied Plover, ~ 20 or so
Dowitchers (principally long-billed but there looked to be at least 1
short-billed), 2 Greater Yellowlegs, and one breeding plumaged RED KNOT. I
only checked Perry Creek, but noted there were also good numbers of birds on
adjacent Mud Bay. I would guess that there are a couple of thousand
shorebirds on Mud Bay right now. The vast majority of them are Dunlin.
There are some fine plumages out there right now.

Good Luck and Good Birding.
Bill Shelmerdine, Olympia
Mailto: georn1 at hotmail.com