[Tweeters] Purple Martins in Anacortes

Wayne C. Weber contopus at telus.net
Tue Apr 25 21:09:08 PDT 2006

Tweeters,

Yesterday, April 24, after taking in the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival,
my wife and I made a brief (non-birding) visit to Washington Park
in Anacortes. At the viewpoint looking out toward Burrows Island,
at least four PURPLE MARTINS were flying overhead, chortling
in their unmistakable martin voices.

I presume that these were birds from the nesting colony near the
San Juan Islands ferry dock, which is no more than a mile or two
away from where we saw the birds.

If I'm correct, this is still the only martin colony in Skagit County.
(Somebody please let me know if I'm incorrect!) However, I'm sure there
is good potential for colonies to be established at several other
locations in the county. We should be grateful to Stan Kostka,
the late Kevin Li, and everyone else who has put up nestboxes and
helped to bring the martins back to western Washington.

Good luck and good birding,

Wayne C. Weber
Delta, BC
contopus at telus.net