[Tweeters] WOS Meeting Monday in Seattle

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Thu Apr 27 15:38:51 PDT 2006

Tweets - the May meeting of the Washington Ornithological Society is this
Monday, May 1, at the Center for Urban Horticulture in Seattle:

Monday, May 1st-Sievert Rohwer-Burke Museum - Molting/Migration - An evening
that gives an overview of the Burke's effort to discover where some
Northwest-breeding passerines go to molt before they reach their wintering
grounds. These areas are mostly unknown, but probably have high conservation
value. We could talk briefly about past/present collecting efforts by the
Burke and other museums in the American Southwest and Mexico, and why the
current collecting efforts are important to fleshing out our knowledge of
birds in this area. Jessie Barry, Vanya Rohwer, and Sievert Rohwer could
also each give short presentations on particular species, including western
kingbirds (Jessie), Cassin's vireos (Vanya), and Lucy's warblers (Sievert).
Jessie and Vanya are undergraduates at UW who are pursuing grant support for
their respective research projects, which will make use of the Burke
collections.

Monthly Membership Meetings are held the first Monday of the month (except
July, August, & September). They are held at the Center for Urban
Horticulture on the University of Washington campus, 3501 NE 41st St.,
Seattle, and are open to all. The social begins at 7:00 p.m. and the program
starts at 7:30 p.m.

Directions: From I-5 take SR520 East.  Take the Montlake Blvd NE exit and
turn North towards the University of Washington campus. Stay in right lane
and drive North on Montlake Blvd (over the bridge and past the stadium).
The road will curve to the right around the Montlake Fill and merges with NE
45th St.  You will quickly approach a 5 way intersection.  At the
intersection turn right onto Mary Gates Memorial Drive.  The Center for
Urban Horticulture is 2 long blocks down on the right.  There is plenty of
free parking at the facility.  We use the main meeting room, the backside of
which faces the road. The following bus routes stop at NE 45th and Mary
Gates Memorial Drive: #25, 65, & 75.  A map can be found on
http://depts.washington.edu/urbhort/html/info/contact.html.

== Michael Hobbs
== Washington Ornithological Society webmaster
== http://www.wos.org
== WOSWeb at wos.org