[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 4/27/06

Scrubjay323 at aol.com Scrubjay323 at aol.com
Thu Apr 27 19:23:53 PDT 2006

Tweets,

Today 5 of us enjoyed a good walk around Nisqually NWR under pleasant
conditions. We started out under cloudy skies and ended up in sunshine. Not  quite
shirt sleeve weather, but pretty close.

Highlights included our first BLUE-WINGED TEAL of the year, seen out near
McAllister Creek. We also saw our first WESTERN TANAGER of the year in the
riparian area out near the twin barns and a SPOTTED SANDPIPER off the Nisqually
overlook. We also saw our first BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS of the year at several
spots on the refuge.

YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS were everywhere, but we didn't see any other  warblers
besides  COMMON YELLOWTHROATS which were very, well, common. WOOD  DUCKS were
also pretty common.

We dipped on the GREAT HORNED OWL and OWLET on the way out to the ring  dike,
but saw an adult GREAT HORNED OWL deep in the woods near the nest tree on
the way back. The trees are leafing out fast and things are getting harder to
spot.

The GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE were back near the start of the boardwalk  as
we finished the walk. We also saw a pair of CANADA GEESE with a single
gosling on the trail to McAllister Creek.

All told we had 48 species for the day and had 4 new species for the year,
giving us a total of 101 species for the year.

Mammals seen included COULMBIAN BLACK-TAILED DEER, LONG TAILED WEASEL, and
DOUGLAS SQUIRREL. The RED-EARED SLIDERS were again out sunning themselves on
the  logs near the ponds. BULLFROGS were also out and about.

Until next week when we walk the full loop.....

Phil  Kelley
Lacey, WA
scrubjay323 at aol.com
360-459-1499

" We were few  and they were many. Now we are many and they are  few"
Confucius