[Tweeters] Re:Baird's Sandpiper (was Douglas County Trip)

Charles Swift chaetura at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 15:20:36 PDT 2006

Howdy -

Baird's Sandpiper is a rare spring migrant in the northwest so I was
interested to see Gina's report frm their Friday trip. I decided to check
eBird to see just how rare - the results can be seen
Interesting also to note the 2 peaks in fall migration - I presume these
correspond to peaks of adults and juveniles respectively??

The spring results could be partly due to the number of checklists submitted
to eBird in WA. I understand that eBird will be rolling out a bulk data
loader utility later this summer so hopefully many more lists will be
submitted in time. Check it out -
especially if you gave up on version 1 (version 2 is much better!).

thanks, Charles.
On 4/30/06, Gina Sheridan <gsherida8502 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Friday (4/28/06), Terry Little, Gary Kuiper,

> Michael Woodruff, and I departed Spokane at 2:30 AM

> and trekked out to Central Ferry Canyon in Douglas

> County. Our primary objective was to observe Blue

> Grouse displaying that the Dennys had witnessed on the

> previous weekend.

In the flooded fields Just west of Mansfield, we found

> a single BAIRD'S SANDPIPER and numerous AMERICAN

> PIPITS. When we arrived in Mansfield, we saw plenty of

> BREWER'S BLACKBIRDs, and BH COWBIRDs around a bird

> feeder.

Charles Swift
Moscow, ID
chaetura at gmail.com