[Tweeters] Loons aplenty

Joemeche at aol.com Joemeche at aol.com
Wed Feb 8 19:55:00 PST 2006

All,

This morning I observed as many as 2,000 loons off the north end of Semiahmoo
Spit. The strong northwest wind made for a healthy chop and the loons were
apparently on top of large schools of fish and diving constantly. Gulls were
wheeling overhead and plunge diving into the frenzy.
The birds were tightly packed and spread across a 200 meter front, give or
take a meter or three.

I estimated that 95% of the loons were Pacific, with lesser numbers of Common
and Red-throated. Cormorants, Red-breasted Mergansers, Long-tailed Ducks, and
Red-necked and Western Grebes were also feeding actively with the loons.

What made this sighting significant, beyond the sheer number of birds and the
action, was the fact that they were very close-in to the channel between
Semiahmoo and the Blaine harbor area. Many of the birds rode the waves into the
area south of the Semiahmoo Marina and then flew into the wind and back to
deeper water, providing great views of loons in flight!

It was a great mid-morning treat! Did I mention the bright sunshine
illuminating the spectacle?

Cheers,
Joe Meche
Bellingham