[Tweeters] robin migration

Jeff Kozma jkozma at charter.net
Mon Feb 13 21:40:59 PST 2006

I saw an extraordinary movement of American Robins today on my way home from work east of Yakima.  I notice wave after wave of robins heading northwesterly in direction and flying relatively low due to the strong winds.  The parade of birds did not quit along a two mile stretch of road to my house.  I was amazed to see such a movement given that the birds were moving into a strong headwind, the opposite of what I would have expected.  A southerly breeze would have been more usual given the large number of birds moving all at once.  It was about 20 minutes before sunset.  There had to be 1000 - 2000 birds at least by my estimation.  Quite impressive and reminiscent of large blackbird flocks, but the flock of robins was more loose in configuration and spread out more.

Jeff Kozma
Yakima, WA