[Tweeters] owling question

J. Acker owler at sounddsl.com
Thu Feb 16 16:36:27 PST 2006

Tim,

I took a SAS class out owling this past Sunday, and will take another group
out this weekend (and next).

My ten years of experience says that you can hardly go wrong in February. I
have found that the cold, clear, windless nights are best. Sound also seems
to travel further, and my detection range is increased. Wind and
precipitation seem to dampen responses, especially from the small owls.

GHOW (Great Horned Owl) are on eggs now, NSWO (Northern Saw-whet) and BDOW
(Barred Owl) within the next three weeks, and WESO (Western Screech-owl) in
early April. 'Tis the season of the owl.

-Jamie

J. Acker

Bainbridge Island, Washington

owler at sounddsl.com