[Tweeters] RFI: Mexico bird guide

Guttman,Burton GuttmanB at evergreen.edu
Mon Jul 10 19:16:07 PDT 2006

Howell and Webb for sure, at least to have in the car. If you can stand to dissect the book, a bound set of the plates is useful in the field. But also Peterson and Chalif; even if some of the taxonomy needs revising, it's a great field companion. Recognize that you'll be encountering North American migrants, especially warblers, and you need to have a sure guide to all of them, including all the eastern species. The fifth edition of the Peterson Eastern Field Guide shows them all, of course, along with plates of some South Texas specialties which you'll see across the border. Lotsa fun. But I wasn't prepared for tropical foliage to be so dense that it's often hard to get good looks at little guys among the leaves.

Burt Guttman
The Evergreen State College
Olympia, WA 98505 guttmanb at evergreen.edu