[Tweeters] On the Duwamish - 7-11-2006

Desilvis, Denis J denis.j.desilvis at boeing.com
Tue Jul 11 13:53:00 PDT 2006

11:31 start - water level extremely low with all mudflats+ visible
(11:45 low tide - (-)3.2ft); 19:29 high tide - 12.31ft)
12:12 end

Tweeters,
Thin overcast clouds, light southwest, then northerly breeze, and
pleasantly warm on an extremely low tide day at Turning Basin #3. Lots
of differential between low and high tides this week, and I don't know
what it is, but the low tides this time of year bring out the Canada
geese: 50, by actual count were right in the TB3 area.

The lone Osprey nestling at Hamm Creek was being fed by the female, but
when the male Osprey at Oxbow brought in part of his catch, the female
ate the whole thing -- the two young at Oxbow didn't even appear to be
begging, so they might have been satiated (I doubt it!) from a previous
feeding. Interestingly enough, the Oxbow female took flight for several
minutes, leaving the nestlings on their own. Might that indicate that
the female was "more comfortable" (anthropomorphism aside) leaving an
"unguarded" nest now that the nestlings are a bit bigger?

Yet another Mallard with very tiny ducklings (eight of them) came
through. And the six young Common Mergansers foraging at the southeast
side of TB3 are almost adult size.

Bird of the day: the 17 or 18 Bushtits that flew past my viewing site.
These were the first I've seen for quite some time.

Birds seen during this scan:
Canada Goose (50)
Mallard (15, including 8 ducklings)
Common Merganser (7)
Great Blue Heron
Osprey (7, incl. 3 nestlings)
Killdeer
Glaucous-winged Gull (6)
Rock Pigeon (9)
Belted Kingfisher
American Crow (15)
Violet-green Swallow (2)
Cliff Swallow (several)
Bushtit (17)
Bewick's Wren
European Starling (56; hordes of flocks in the distance, though)
Song Sparrow (2)
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch (2)
American Goldfinch