[Tweeters] On the Duwamish - 7-12-2006

Desilvis, Denis J denis.j.desilvis at boeing.com
Wed Jul 12 12:43:02 PDT 2006

11:34 start - water level very low with all mudflats visible (05:05 high
tide - 10.6ft; 12:28 low tide - (-)3.1ft)
12:04 end

Tweeters,
Socked-in clouds, southerly breeze, and a heavy Scottish mist at Turning
Basin #3. If the fenced-in, crossed-wires area at the new restoration
site across the river is supposed to be a goose-excluder (ala previous
restorations along the Duwamish), it ain't working: 18 Canada geese were
inside it today. This is a higher number than usual, but it's definitely
the usual occurrence.

A European Starling was right on the tailfeathers of a Killdeer for a
flight of several hundred yards. The Killdeer was calling continuously.
The starling broke off the pursuit when the Killdeer banked left for a
landing at the restoration peninsula.

I didn't see or hear Purple Martins (or any other swallows) today, but
while I didn't report it, I thought I heard one yesterday. I'll keep an
eye/ear open to see if the pair remains.

The Hamm Creek Osprey nestling is really testing its wings -- should
fledge soon.

Bird of the day is really "mammal of the year": This morning (6:28am) I
was chatting with my boss when he jumped up and ran to the window
pointing and saying "What's that? Come here -- what's that?" "That"
turned out to be a weasel, the first I've seen anywhere in this area of
the river. The slim killer had "bounced" out from the vegetation along
the fence to a point about 5ft past a parked car. It jumped a couple of
times, then bounded back into the cover. Look out rabbits and other
critters!

Birds seen during this scan:
Canada Goose (33)
Mallard (16; incl. 5 half-grown ducklings)
Great Blue Heron (3)
Osprey (7; incl. 3 young)
Killdeer (3)
Glaucous-winged Gull (3)