[Tweeters] Birds to Mammals Ratio

Steve Ellis sellis at coup.wednet.edu
Mon Jul 24 12:43:01 PDT 2006

I went back through our trip logs and have discovered we see an average of
7-8 birds for every mammal we record. It¹s amazing how steady this statistic
remains whether we visit the coast or head eastward. I note that the longer
the trip, the lower the ratio with trips of a week or more coming in at
around 6-7 birds to 1 mammal. I should say we camp out a lot and so can
record bat sp. and other mostly nocturnal mammals.
I realize if you head to the Columbia Basin in the middle of July you
won¹t score any daytime mammals but this ratio has repeated consistently on
trips to Minnesota, California, Alberta, Blue Mountains, and at least 12
shorter trips. 7-1 was even the ratio in a fly- to- Chicago- for- a-
wedding- trip: 21 birds, 3 mammals!
A day hike in the Cascades usually is somewhat less, coming in at 4 to1.
Has anyone else encountered this statistic?
Steve Ellis
sellis at coup.wednet.edu