[Tweeters] Re: Arizona,

Robert Cleland cleland at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 25 22:13:39 PDT 2006

I just returned from a 9-day WINGS trip to SE Arizona, lead by Jon Dunn
and Gavin Bieber (two of the most effective leaders I've ever met). We
covered the area around Tucson, mostly in the Huachuca and Chiricahua
mountains. I saw 185 species of birds, including 38 lifers. Target bird
was the ELEGANT TROGAN, which gave us fantastic views in Garden Canyon in
Ft. Huachuca. Other notables included a FLAME-COLORED TANAGER (Madera
Canyon), RUFOUS-CAPPED WARBLER (Sycamore Canyon), BERYLLINE HUMMINGBIRD
(Ramsey Canyon), LUCIFER HUMMINGBIRD (Ash Canyon B&B), and a family of
SPOTTED OWLS (Mexican subspecies). We had 14 species of hummingbirds in
one day! Also local species such as FIVE-STRIPED SPARROW, BLACK-CAPPED
GNATCATCHER, BLACK HAWK, and BUFF-BELLIED FLYCATCHER. If you ever want to
see these species, I strongly recommend this tour. Leaders were great,
arrangements were fine, and it was a wonderful time for all.

Robert Cleland

Professor (Emeritus), Biology Dept. Box 355325
Univ. of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-5325
Phone (206) 543-6105; FAX (206) 685-1728