[Tweeters] Flammulated Owls in Stephens County

Terry Little terry at crossoverchurch.info
Tue Jun 20 07:52:31 PDT 2006

Back in April, my son, Joshua and I received a tip from a Dept of Fish and
Wildlife employee that he had "heard" that Flammulated Owls used to be seen
in Rail Canyon north of Tum Tum, just northwest of Spokane. Last Sunday
night, June 11, I heard one (probably two) about 9:30 in the evening. Last
night, June 19, Joshua and I returned on an absolutely beautiful evening.
This time within a half a mile, we heard  five and saw two of them. Suspect
there are more.

There were also several Poor Wills serenading us and many Nighthawks and a
constant chorus of Swainson's Thrushes. On the way out to the sight, there
was a Bull Moose in the Little Spokane River.

The owls were up McAlister Rd 2.7- 3.1 miles off of Highway 291, northwest
of Tum Tum.

Blessings,

Terry

Mead, Wa