[Tweeters] ?Dunlin

sgmlod at aol.com sgmlod at aol.com
Tue Jun 20 12:28:45 PDT 2006

Greetings

Interesting bird.

First of all, let me say, that ID'ing a bird from one poor (no insult intended) photo is fraught with potential error.

Some Dunlin (actually all shorebirds) at this time of year can show partial alternate or even full basic plumage. This is especially true in have decided not to try to breed, and these are exactly the individuals most likely to be seen here in mid-summer. So, the lack of black belly on this bird is irrelevant.

I'm at work and, sadly, would benefit from looking at a book or resource or two. But I certainly do not remember Dunlin with this pattern of thick well-defined streaks. It looks like the scaps might be reddish. So, this all fits with Western Sand and the bill is within range of WESA. The face pattern looks more Dunlin like, but it is hard to be certain from the photo. Also, I remember Dunlin has having longer primary projection beyond tertials than this bird shows, and this bird shows primary projection fairly typical of WESA.

So, I'd go with Western Sandpiper, with a bit of trepidation given the limited evidence.

Cheers
Steven Mlodinow
Everett WA