[Tweeters] West Wash Birding

Marv Breece mbreece at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 2 05:58:37 PST 2006

Yesterday I birded my way from Seattle to Bellingham and back. I was surprised to see 5 AMERICAN KESTRELS for the day. Two were in Snohomish County and three were in Skagit County. There was an adult PEREGRINE FALCON perched in a tree along Farm to Market Road just north on Hwy 20 in Skagit Co. Another PEREGRINE, this a sub adult, was near the east 90 on the Samish Flats. A MERLIN was along Hwy 20 west of Bayview/Edison (Best) Road. I could not find the previously reported Yellow-billed Loon reported earlier in Fidalgo Bay. Neither was the Prairie Falcon at home near Sullivan Rd and Bayview Edison Road on the Samish Flats.

The best bird of the day was a male LESSER GOLDFINCH, viewed and photographed while at a feeder on private property in Bellingham. I hesitate to report this bird, since the owners do not wish to have visitors. Yet I assume that birders would like to know about it. Please email me privately if you would like a photo of this bird.

Marv Breece
Seattle, WA