[Tweeters] Nanaimo bird alert

The Backyard thebackyard at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 7 16:01:59 PST 2006

The Nanaimo Bird Alert
          provided by
The Backyard Wildbird and Nature Store
To report your sightings phone
The Bird Alert at: 390-3029 or
The Store at: 390-3669
e-mail: thebackyard at shaw.ca
Website: www.thebirdstore.ca
Please remember, when reporting a sighting, to leave your name and phone
number, along with the date and location of your sighting.
Monday March 06, 2006:
A male GILDED FLICKER (it has definite yellow tailfeathers, a blood-red
mustache, brown at the top of the head and no red at the back of the neck)
has been coming to feeders in the 3500 block of Ospray Outlook in Nanaimo.
A male and two female RED-HEADED DUCKS were seen at the log sort off of
Northwest Bay Road in Nanoose Bay.
An EURASIAN WIGEON was spotted just off shore at Parksville Bay in
Parksville.
A TURKEY VULTURE was seen above Wakesiah Avenue near the ND School in
Nanaimo.
Sunday March 05:
A SILVER PHEASANT was spotted near Icarus Drive and Invermere in Nanaimo.
RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS were spotted just off shore at Neck Point Park.
The Sunday Bird  Walk went to the Englishman River Estuary, Shelly Road side
and found the following forty  species.
             Canada Goose
             American Wigeon
             Mallard
             Northern Pintail
             Green-winged Teal
             Bufflehead
             Surf Scoter
             Common Goldeneye
             Hooded Merganser
             Common Merganser
             Red-breasted Merganser
             Bald Eagle
             Great Blue Heron
             California Gull
             Mew Gull
             Glaucous-winged Gull
             Brant Geese
             Belted Kingfisher
             Hairy Woodpecker
             Northern Flicker
             Pileated Woodpecker
             Steller's Jay
             Northwestern Crow
             Common Raven
             Chestnut-backed Chickadee
             Bushtit
             Red-Breasted Nuthatch
             Brown Creeper
             Ruby-crowned Kinglet
             Bewick's Wren
             Winter Wren
             American Robin
             European Starling
             Song Sparrow
             Golden-crowned Sparrow
             Dark-eyed Junco
             House Finch
             Spotted Towhee
             Varied Thrush

Saturday March 04:
A CRACKING GOOSE was spotted in with a flock of CANADA GEESE at the Tenth
Fairway of Morningstar Golf Course at French Creek.
A RINGED-NECKED PHEASANT was seen crossing Highway 4A, near the Bradley
Centre, near  Coombs.
An AMERICAN KESTREL was seen along Northwest Bay Road near the Springwood
Farm in Nanoose Bay.
Two TURKEY VULTURES were seen flying overhead at Enos Lake at Nanoose Bay.
FRIDAY March 03:
A TOWNSEND'S WARBLER was seen at a suet feeder along Honeysuckle Terrace in
Nanaimo.
Monday February 27:
An ICELAND GULL was seen in with GLAUCOUS-WINGED and THAYER'S GULLS on the
High School playing fields in Duncan.
For further information on these sightings or for help in identifying a
bird please call:
The Backyard Wildbird and Nature Store
@ (250) 390-3669
Toll Free @ 1-888-249-4145
e-mail: thebackyard at shaw.ca
www.thebirdstore.ca
*************************************
The Nanoose Naturalists
Monthly Meeting
Thursday, March 09, 7:00 pm
Nanoose Library,
Nanoose Bay
**************************************
Nanaimo Field Naturalists
Monthly Meeting
Wednesday, March 22, 7:30 PM,
Bowen Park Activity Centre,
Nanaimo.
**********************************
Arrowsmith Naturalists
Monthly Meeting,
Springwood School  Parksville
Monday, March 27, 7:30 pm.
Graham Beard of the
Vancouver Island Paleontology Society
       will speak on
"The Fossils of Vancouver Island"
 ************************************
This Sunday Bird Walk, March 12, 2006, will be going to  Neck Point Park.
Meet at the store at 9:00 am or at the parking lot at Neck Point Park, off
Hammond Bay Road, at about 9:20 am.
Marilynne & I have just returned from a fabulous time in Costa Rica.  We saw
a total of 343 species of birds in the 15 days we were there and were in awe
several times by the elusive Resplendent Quetzal!
Good Birding!
Neil Robins
Nanaimo
British Columbia