[Tweeters] Re: Tweeters Digest, Vol 19, Issue 8

Mraric06 at cs.com Mraric06 at cs.com
Wed Mar 8 20:14:53 PST 2006

In a message dated 3/8/06 12:00:30 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tweeters-request at mailman1.u.washington.edu writes:
> <JeffBorsecnik at msn.com>
Jeff,
I was the Chief Naturalist at Calusa Nature Center in Fort Myers for a few
years in the late 90's.  I taught field ornithology classes at the Edison
Community College and know several good places in Lee and Collier Counties, if
you're able to route through there on your way to the East coast (Alligator Alley,
a.k.a. I-75 now).  Obvious choices are Ding Darling NWR on Sanibel and
Audubon's Corkscrew Swamp sanctuary (east of Naples), but there are several more
obscure locations that can produce Caracaras, Burrowing Owls, Scrub Jays (the
threatened subspecies), red-cockaded woodpeckers, brown-headed nuthatches, roseate
spoonbills, Great White Herons, etc.  Let me know if you are able to travel
that way and I'll give you more details.  I can fax you my old course syllabus,
which has six field trip sites

Rick Mraz