[Tweeters] Bird of the Week: Redstart a "desperate housewife"?

Paul Hicks phicks at accessgrace.org
Tue Mar 14 21:59:59 PST 2006

Tweets,
I stumbled upon a female redstart near the marsh on Mull Rd east of Tenino
several years ago in mid-June. That was just the first surprise--a first
county record I'm told. As I tracked its activity over the course of a few
days I noticed it returning consistently to the same place in an Oregon Ash.
Second surprise: it was building a nest! Where was the mate? The third
surprise: turned out to be a Yellow Warbler!! I had previously noticed the
two loosely associating, and both acting highly territorial (especially
him), but thought nothing of it until I observed them both around, at, and
in the nest. Nature's "desperate housewife" or just an "odd couple"?
--Paul Hicks
Tenino, s. Thurston Co
phicks AT accessgrace.org