[Tweeters] Townsend's solitaire?

Kathryn Hornbein kurlew at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 17 19:28:27 PST 2006

Sometimes, walking toward the south end our little strip of second
growth forest on Lk. Sam. s of Northup I'd hear a  high-pitched,
short call, "pinq", about every fifteen seconds. I spent considerable
time trying to chase it down; it was impossible to localize; the more
I tried to find the source, the more elusive it became. It would tend
to occur for several weeks then disappear--unfortunately, since I
hadn't heard it for several years I can't remember seasonal
occurrence. Now that we're in the land of the Townsend's solitaire,
I'm wondering...their call is quite similar, tho much more frequent,
and easier to localize (in open forest/grassland/rocky
ridges/cliffs). Is it possible a Townsend's solitaire might have been
moving through the PNW??

kathy hornbein
estes park CO
kurlew at earthlink.net