[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR Birding

Carol Riddell cariddell at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 19 09:27:56 PST 2006

Hi Tweets,

A group of six of us from Pilchuck Audubon Society birded Nisqually
National Wildlife Refuge yesterday.  We passed through a rain belt in
the Federal Way area, both going and returning, but had a completely
dry day on the refuge.  Sometimes it was cold as the sun disappeared
and a nippy breeze would pick up.  Other times it was comfortable and
pleasant.  As one would expect, we encountered lots of birders,
photographers, and walkers.  I had not been down there in a number of
months so my biggest concern was encountering for the first time the
very thorough job of staff having placed bird-netting on the eaves
and the outdoor ceiling areas of the Interpretive Center.  No more
nesting for the Barn and Cliff Swallows.  No more chicks to be
enjoyed at close range by visitors.  I think this was a very
unfortunate decision.  Sure the nests causes some additional work,
having to be knocked down at the end of the season.  Whitewash had to
be cleaned up from time to time.  But I'm sure the refuge staff or
volunteers pressure wash the decking from time to time anyway.  One
of the delights of spring is now gone.

We saw 45 bird species for the day.  Several of the highlights
included a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers working the canopy of
deciduous trees on the boardwalk loop.  Also saw at least 4 Brown
Creepers and a pair of Downy Woodpeckers along the boardwalk.  We
missed the Great Horned Owl--twice!  For one of our group, the
greatest delight of the day, after first having seen a couple of Tree
Swallows from the Interpretive Center Deck, was then watching several
hundred high in the sky, coming in from the west over McAllister
Creek.  We all chuckled at some Canada Goose behavior, previously
unknown to any of us.  From the Interpretive Center deck we saw
broad, huge wings flapping in a tree across the water.  We quickly
pointed our binoculars, expecting to see a raptor.  Nope, it was a
goose.  Then out by the Twin Barns, we focused a scope on the large
twig nest high in a cottonwood.  Sticking out of the nest like the
curved handle of an elegant cane was the head and neck of another
Canada Goose.  We saw at least 5 Bald Eagles and several Northern
Harriers and Red-tailed Hawks.  No roughies and no kestrel were
seen.  The only warblers were lots of Yellow-Rumps on the west side
of the loop in the thickets along the ponds.  We also encountered
many Golden-crowned Sparrows in that section of the trail.  We had
one American Bittern between the parking lot and McAllister Creek.

Carol Riddell
cariddell at earthlink.net