[Tweeters] RE returning yard birds

vogelfreund at comcast.net vogelfreund at comcast.net
Thu Mar 23 16:50:13 PST 2006

-----------------------------------
3/23/06

Those tales about smart swallows reminds me about smart humminbbirds.

When I was stationed at Fort Huachuca, AZ, from 1969 to 1971, I lived in family quarters, which in my case was a duplex in an older, hence shadier area. We were  awaiting "concurrent travel orders" to Germany, which took 2 or 3 months longer than expected. That was the spring of 1971.

To make it short, we decided not to put out the hummingbird feeders, so the birds wouldn't become dependent on them. But a returning female Black-chinned Hummingbird showed up and let us know that shhe was searching for her accustomed feeder! She kept hovering under the eaves where it normally was (on the cool north side). So we finally gave in and brewed up some nectar and put one feeder out until we moved away.

p.s. I once saw two Violet-green Swallows playing catch with a plume. One would drop it from a height, and the other would  catch it and do the same. That was out  at Point Defiance in Tacoma.

Phil Hotlen
Bellingham, WA