[Tweeters] RE birding in England

carenp carenp at totalise.co.uk
Tue Mar 28 23:23:20 PST 2006

as i had lived in east sussex for a number of years, among the places i
suggested for day tripping was the town of rye, which just happens to
contain a well-known natural area (perhaps even a nature preserve now) on
the camber along the harbour... there are birding blinds at several
strategery (yeah, i know; it's such a quaint new word!) spots inside the
park... the camber castle itself is a small and fascinating little jaunt
into the english countryside as well... get used to walking among the
sheep, and recognize that, as of my last visit, the "electric" trains were
mostly diesel and quite noisome, at least on the connex line... they were
in the process of taking the older rolling stock off the rails, but budget
and time, etc...

another day trip is the raptor center somewhere west (and south?) from
salisbury, towards exeter... while i've driven past any number of times,
i've never stopped in... one of these days, i can hope...

ps: i'm going to be in brittany (bretagne) myself from early may into
august, and i'd appreciate any and all birding hints for all of northern and
western france, and into benelux... my friends tell me i'm going to be
bored out of my mind in the tiny village of pedernec (two buses daily, no
phone, no train), but i'm hoping to outsmart them :)

00 caren
near seward park