[Tweeters] Ancient Murrelets

B & P Bell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Thu Mar 30 09:42:11 PST 2006

Hi Tweets

My most memorable story on Ancient Murrelets happened a couple of years ago
when we had lots of them around Puget Sound. I was out at the fishing pier
in Edmonds one morning with lots of Common Murres, Rhinoceros Auklets and
Ancient Murrelets around. The birds were coming in very close to the pier,
and several people were actively fishing that morning. One fellow through
his line out, and shortly after began reeling it in with something active on
the end. When he pulled it up he had an Ancient Murrelet on the end. The
bird protested loudly as he held it gently and we both looked it over (from
only a few inches). He then carefully unhooked the bird and released it back
into the water. It sat on the water, ruffled it's feathers and proceeded to
dive as thought nothing had happened.

Brian H. Bell
Woodinville WA
bellasoc at isomedia.com
Birding & Natural History Guide
author: Birds of Washington State, Lone Pine Publishing