[Tweeters] North Head Lighthouse - 10/17/2006

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Tue Oct 17 12:13:52 PDT 2006

North Head Lighthouse - 10/17/2006

I spent 2 hours this morning hanging out with Troy Guy while he
did a seabird watch for NOAA at the North Head Lighthouse, Pacific
Co., WA.

I my way out I estimated at least 500 BROWN PELICANS on the sandbar
near the bridge across to Washington.  I also saw 2 WHITE-TAILED
KITES along Chinook Valley.

At the head, we saw heavy movements of HEERMANN'S and CALIFORNIA
GULLS, and also pretty good numbers of HERRING and MEW GULLS.
There were WESTERN GREBES on the water as far as the eye could
see.  Steady movements of scoters were also observed.

Birds seen at North Head (in taxonomic order):

Green-Winged Teal                  12
Greater Scaup                       4
Surf Scoter                       200 [1]
White-winged Scoter               100 [2]
Black Scoter                        2
Red-breasted Merganser              4 [3]
Red-throated Loon
Pacific Loon
Common Loon
Western Grebe                    2000 [4]
Brown Pelican                     150 [5]
Brandt's Cormorant                 25
Double-crested Cormorant           10
Pelagic Cormorant                   5
Parasitic Jaeger                    3 [6]
Heermann's Gull
Mew Gull
California Gull [7]
Herring Gull [8]
Western Gull
Glaucous-winged Gull
Steller's Jay                       4
American Crow
Chestnut-backed Chickadee          12
Red-breasted Nuthatch               2
Winter Wren                         1
Golden-crowned Kinglet             20
Ruby-crowned Kinglet                8
Hermit Thrush                       2
Fox Sparrow                        15
Song Sparrow                        8
Dark-eyed Junco                     2
Red Crossbill                       8

Footnotes:

[1]  undercount
[2]  undercount
[3]  probably this species
[4]  probably undercount
[5]  probably undercount; steady southbound movement
[6]  one seen well; two others probably this species
[7]  heavy southbound movement
[8]  steady southbound movement

Total number of species seen: 33

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR
celata at pacifier.com

I'm not jealous or
Why I've never Seen Black-throated Blue Warbler in Oregon
http://www.surfbirds.com/blogs/mbalame/archives/004174.html