[Tweeters] Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2006-09-01

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Fri Sep 1 14:30:22 PDT 2006

Tweets - this morning I led the ELWAS monthly walk at Marymoor (first Friday
of each month). It was a gorgeous day, sunny, cool-to-start but warming, no
wind. It was quite birdy in an on-and-off sort of way. The most noteworthy
thing was how different the bird list was from Wednesday. We had 10 species
today that we didn't have Wednesday!

Cackling Goose First of fall, one with CANGS on field 7
Band-tailed Pigeon Flock of a dozen or more overhead
Red-breasted Sapsucker One or two over Dog Meadow
Warbling Vireo Several scattered across park again today
Red-eyed Vireo KILLER views near east footbridge
Brown Creeper One heard in Cottonwood forest, 1 seen at RC
Black-headed Grosbeak Probably 8 or more, none adult males
Purple Finch Many, incl. juveniles, in Ash trees

Alas, no longspurs. However, the most tantalizing things were two that got

Near the weir, I thought I heard a GREATER YELLOWLEGS; if so, it probably
flew south from the weir out of sight. Only heard it once.

Even more frustrating was a large woodpecker that flew west over the
boardwalk. I got to watch it in flight for several hundred yards, but it
flew right towards me, over my head, and straight away. I can't be sure,
but I think it was a juvenile LEWIS'S WOODPECKER.

Unfortunately, I don't feel I can count either of these birds... :(

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== birdmarymoor at verizon.net