[Tweeters] Spokane Bird Alert Acorn Woodpecker!

craigco 2cbird at hughes.net
Mon Sep 11 11:59:10 PDT 2006

Spokane County's first ever ACORN WOODPECKER was seen Friday afternoon Sept
8, 2006 about 5 miles NE of Cheney on Chalet Drive (off Andrus Rd). It was
found by Maggie and Fritz Stout at their home. It has not been seen again.
It fed at a seed feeder. They consulted a bird book while watching it and
took a picture through a window. The picture is fuzzy, but I and others
think it is adequate to back up their sighting. It shows a black back,
white belly, white primary bases, and red on head. They noted the white in
the eyes. The bird flew off to the SE. Picture available on request.

On visiting their place, I noted a major feeding station. Their place is on
a hill with open areas & pines. There is one small scrub oak tree in their

Spokane County's Year List is now 230!
Congratulations Maggie and Fritz on one of the best finds of the year!

Good Birding,
mailto:2cbird at hughes.net