[Tweeters] Along the Duwamish - 9-9-2006

Desilvis, Denis J denis.j.desilvis at boeing.com
Mon Sep 11 12:23:21 PDT 2006

Tweeters,
(Sorry for the late posting, but no computer....)

Ten of us hit four areas along the Duwamish River last Saturday,
starting about an hour (7:30am) after an apx 11ft high tide. With the
outgoing tide, I thought we'd catch some shorebirds along the way, but
for the first time in several years, we only saw one (a Spotted
Sandpiper). I noted only 27 species, which is rather a low count.

Although the day started with some heavy drizzle, that cleared up soon,
and we spent a pleasant 4 hours hitting some of the easily visited areas
along the river. The sites included the following, all of which are
along West Marginal Way in Seattle:

T-105 Park (T105) - off W. Marginal Way SW, just south of the West
Seattle Bridge
T-107 Park (T107) - about a mile south of T-105
Hamm Creek (HC) - about four miles further south - Lots of salmon
jumping and salmon fisherman on the river here
Turning Basin #3 (TB3) - another half-mile south

Ospreys were at all four areas, with both the Hamm Creek and Oxbow
(Turning Basin) nests still having birds attending there. (Note: I
thought that the Hamm Creek site fledged just one Osprey, but two of the
birds there had lots of "white" spots among the dark feathering. Could
it be that two birds fledged at Hamm Creek?)

Birds identified (sight and/or vocalization) during this trip (and
locations) include the following:
Canada Goose (all areas)
Mallard (all)
Common Merganser (T107)
Double-crested Cormorant (T107; HC; TB3)
Great Blue Heron (T107; HC)
Osprey (all)
Red-tailed Hawk (HC)
Peregrine Falcon (T105)
Spotted Sandpiper (T107)
Mew Gull (T107)
Ring-billed Gull (T107; TB3)
Glaucous-winged Gull (all)
Rock Pigeon (all)
Anna's Hummingbird (T105)
Belted Kingfisher (T105; T107)
Northern Flicker (T107)
American Crow (all)
Black-capped Chickadee (T107; HC)
Bewick's Wren (T107)
American Robin (T107)
European Starling (all)
Savannah Sparrow (HC)
Song Sparrow (T107; HC)
White-crowned Sparrow (HC
Red-winged Blackbird (T105)
House Finch (T105; T107)
American Goldfinch (T107)

Trip participants: Judy Allan; Walter and Jackie Williams; Edel Shine;
Kathleen Dowd-Gailey; Danielle King; Michael Miller; Jim Flynn; Marisa
Benavente; and me.

May all your birds be identified,

Denis DeSilvis
Seattle, WA