[Tweeters] Back at the Fill

amk17 at earthlink.net amk17 at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 17 17:30:54 PDT 2006

This afternoon, at about 4pm, I headed back out to the Fill with hopes of finding the Black-throated Blue Warbler. As I headed started out to the main pond I met Sam Riley, Brendan and Tristan Higgins. At the main pond, we observed American Pipits, Yellow-rumped Warblers, American Shovelers, White-crowned Sparrows, Golden-crowned Sparrows.

As we lamented the absence of sandpipers, 4 peeps flew over the pond, circled and flew directly at us. I fully expected them to turn sharply and head for the opposite people-free zone at the other end of the pond. Instead, they landed within 8 - 10 feet, nearly directly in front of us at the edge of the pond. Three were obviously Least Sandpipers. The fourth was significantly taller and longer billed. My first impression was Pectoral Sandpiper - as we studied the bird, Brendan or Tristan confirmed our sighting with his Sibley. It was a juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper. We noted a V-pattern on its back, brownish above, orange base of the bill with darker tip, greenish or dull yellow legs, striped breast and white belly. We had brilliant close-up views for at least 5 minutes before they flew to the other end of the pond.

What a treat! I've never been so close to a Pectoral Sandpiper - or a Least Sandpiper!

Also at the pond, one Sharp-shinned Hawk. And no BTBW.

Anna Kopitov
Seattle, WA
amk17 at earthlink.net