[Tweeters] Odd Gull, 3 Whimbrels and dead shark

Clovis Ache clovisache at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 21 13:00:16 PDT 2006

Tweets,
This morning at Dungeness NWR there was an odd, first-winter gull.  I'm
guessing it was a Western, at least that's the closest I could figure.  The
top of the head was entirely bald (vulture-like) and the nape feathers stuck
out like a white puff collar.  Wonder what could have caused this unusual
plumbage?

A Bald Eagle flew over the Strait and picked up a fish in its tallons.
Immediately there were 10 gulls harrassing in the hopes it would drop its
catch.  Gulls didn't succeed.  A little further down gulls were enjoying a
breakfast of small (approx 2 1/2 ft) dead shark.  It must have washed up in
the high tide.

Other birds:  3 Whimbrels, Surf Scotters, Barn Swallows, Sanderlings, et al.

Clovis
Sequim, WA
mailto:  clovis ache at hotmail dot com