[Tweeters] Sharp-tailed Sandpiper - Ridgefield NWR

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at brunton.com
Thu Sep 21 18:24:42 PDT 2006

I visited Ridgefield NWR this afternoon hoping that the change in the
weather had brought some shorebirds. I was rewarded with a single juv
SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPER in the southeastern quadrant of Rest Lake. It
fed with a group of Least Sandpipers and one Pectoral Sandpiper (good
comparison). The flared supercilium and rufous crown were very obvious
although I felt that it was a different bird than the one photographed
this weekend Shorebirds were:

Pectoral Sandpiper 6

Semipalmated Plover 4

Killdeer 10

Red-necked Phalarope 2

Greater Yellowlegs 1

Long-billed Dowitcher 3

Least Sandpiper ~15

Western Sandpiper ~6

It was good to see some small flocks of Sandhill Cranes, the first I've
seen this season.

Meanwhile, birds were going bonkers in Battle Ground this morning. My
local flock of 20 Cedar Waxwings swelled to about 250 with swirling
groups all over the area visible from the back deck all morning. Also,
Yellow Warblers were plentiful and the American Goldfinch number also
grew to about 25 from the usual 10. Firsts for the season were:

Pine Siskin: 4

Evening Grosbeak: 6

Varied Thrush: 1

Purple Finch: 5

Peregrine: 1 (first for the yard this year)

I wonder what will be blown in tonight.........

Get Out There and Bird!

Jim Danzenbaker | Naturalist Manager

Battle Ground, Wa