[Tweeters] Help for visiting east coast birder

Paul Hudson pbhudson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 23:08:22 PDT 2007

I have an extra day after a work trip on Saturday April 14 and have
not birded in Washington State before (I have been to the area a few
times, pre-birding).  I have a copy of Hal Opperman's ABA guide from
2003, and will monitor this list for latest sightings, but wondered if
anyone had suggestions on best use of my day (weather permitting) that
would be most likely to net the greatest number of species from the
target list below.  I need to be in Tacoma roughly by dinnertime or a
little later, and I need to either start in Seattle (an early morning
departure OK) or somewhere within about 90 miles of there.  I will
have my own car.  I would also prefer areas that show off Washington's
natural beauty, even if at the expense of a tick or two.  I am also
likely to be back in Seattle within a year (and in different seasons)
so would opt for more time outside and less driving, rather than
trying to see and find too much in one day.  I assume coastal areas in
a rain shadow might be my best bet for weather in mid-April.  I would
also especially welcome input on Deception Pass State Park (birding or
otherwise), a hiking book spoke in superlatives and maybe the big
crowds aren't there yet in April?

Any and all suggestions are most appreciated.  You can reply off-list to me.

For my target list, I am sure some are rarities or out of season.  (I
say this to spare people of explaining to me all of the birds on this
list I won't see, which I presume is the case with most of them).   I
have put a * by birds that I gather might be possible and that would
be particularly desired.

Red-breasted Sapsucker**
Lewis' Woodpecker
Varied Thrush**
Cassin's Vireo (too early perhaps, otherwise a *)
Gyrfalcon
Sooty (formerly Blue) Grouse (I have seen Dusky (Blue) in Colorado)
Mountain Quail
Pacific Golden Plover
American Golden Plover
Red Phalarope
Sabine's Gull
Cassin's Auklet
Rhinoceros Auklet
Band-tailed Pigeon
Owls: Western Screech. Great Gray, Northern Hawk, Northern Pygmy
Black and Vaux's Swift
 Also, if any Greater White-fronted, Ross or Cackling Geese are
around, they aren't lifers but I'd be pleased to find them.

Any albatross, shearwater, petrel (I will have to do Westport some other time).

Thanks!

Paul Hudson
Arlington, Virginia
reply to pbhudson at gmail.com