[Tweeters] SE Washington birding, 3/31-4/1

Matt Dufort zeledonia at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 00:07:05 PDT 2007

Hello all,

I spent this past weekend birding a variety of locations in southeastern
Washington.  Some brief highlights are below.  I’d like to write a longer
description of the trip, but doing that would probably delay my post at
least another day or two.  It was an amazing weekend, with some really cool
birds.  The flock of geese on Corfu Rd was a definite highlight – many
thousands of birds, with 5 species of geese in the flock!

Glaucous Gull

1 adult at various spots around Central Ferry / Port of Garfield along the
Snake River on 4/1 – this bird followed me from Port of Garfield to Central
Ferry Park, and then to the backwater of the Snake along Lower Deadman Rd
east of Hwy 127.  It kept flying in and landing in front of me.

Ross’s Goose

1 in the big goose flock on Corfu Rd west of Othello, 3/31

1 with a small group of Canada Geese at Swallows Park near Clarkston, 4/1

Eurasian Green-winged Teal

1 at County Line Ponds along Hwy 26 west of Othello, 3/31

Snow Goose

8 in the Corfu Rd goose flock on 3/31 – this flock was at least
15,000-20,000 birds, and also held at least 6 Greater White-fronted Geese

15 by themselves way out on Potholes Reservoir on 3/31

Swainson’s Hawk

1 on Hwy 260 northeast of Kahlotus on 3/31

American Avocet

2 at County Line Ponds along Hwy 26 on 3/31

2 at Hatton Coulee Rest Area on 3/31

Long-billed Curlew

1 hanging out in Othello (!) in crop fields along 7th Ave, north of the
school, on 3/31

Long-eared Owl

1 at Windust Park on 3/31 (also one Barn Owl there)

Black-backed Woodpecker

Pair at the Sweeney Gulch Burn, Garfield Co., on 4/1

Williamson’s Sapsucker

1 male drumming and digging sap wells in the Sweeney Gulch Burn on 4/1

Tricolored Blackbird

At least 12 in a small marsh north of the Para Ponds, NW of Othello, on 3/31

Good birding!

Matt Dufort

--
12:48 PM