[Tweeters] Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2007-04-05

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Thu Apr 5 16:48:47 PDT 2007

Tweets - 14 of us had a great day under clearing skies at Marymoor this
morning. It was very birdy, with a couple of surprises, some interesting
behaviors, and some new arrivals.

Highlights (FOS=First sighting of Spring):

Osprey Copulating - FOS
Bald Eagle Adult seen leaving new nest
R.-breasted Sapsucker Great looks south of mansion
Northern Shrike East Meadow - latest spring date ever.
Varied Thrush Heard singing west of the park. Getting
American Pipit 5 on grass fields 7-8-9
Yellow-rumped Warbler Many nice singing males
Common Yellowthroat Heard in East Meadow - FOS
Brown-headed Cowbird FOS

Two male BELTED KINGFISHERS chased each other around grandly and noisily.
At one point they landed on some snags along the river and started
displaying by spreading thier wings (I'll put a photo on the blog). A
female came by causing even more commotion.

The OSPREY are back, seen flying high overhead and calling, seen near the
nest, and seen copulating on a light pole near the nest.

We had fun watching BROWN CREEPERS in the big cottonwood forest, and
listening to an abundance of singing SAVANNAH SPARROWS just about

The BALD EAGLE nest may be deep enough that an adult can be hidden
completely inside it. We looked and looked, trying to catch a glimpse of
activity at the nest, without success. When we got to the lake, a single
adult was on the usual tree on the west bank. As we looped back, several
people saw an adult eagle *leave* the nest and fly north. So I think it's
possible that one eagle was on the nest almost the whole time, with the
other one hanging at the lake.

After the Rowing Club stop, I went to the cabana to scan the north end of
the lake, as we were grebeless for the day. I was hoping for Pied-billed,
but what I found were 4-5 HORNED GREBE in (or approaching) breeding plumage.
I did see some Pied-billeds too, but they were too far away to count for the
Marymoor list.

For the day, 62 species. 3 new for the year (OSPR, COYE, BHCO), to bring
the year total to an even 100.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== birdmarymoor at verizon.net

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts" - Bertrand