[Tweeters] Townsend's other landbird

Jim Flynn merlinmania at comcast.net
Fri Apr 6 14:21:40 PDT 2007

Hi Tweets,

Migration of landbirds is under way! This morning Marissa Benavente and I saw several migrants from our West Seattle yard. We
added three birds to our overall yard list this morning - something which probably hasn't happened since last spring when we
moved in.

The first bird was a Towsend's Solitaire which Marissa spotted at the very top of a Deodar Cedar about a block and a half
away (Thank You Swarovski!). We watched it for a minute or so, mulling over its ID before it flew off. I was able to re-find
it briefly after I left the house for work. I last saw it flying high to the north in the area of 41st Ave SW and SW Monroe Sts,
uphill from Lincoln Park.

Our other two yard birds were Yellow-rumped Warbler (which we surprisingly missed last year) and a Hutton's Vireo.
The vireo wasn't entirely unexpected, but still a bit unusual I think in our residential neighborhood. The warblers and vireos
were both attracted to the huge Big-leaf Maple in our front yard. In a week or so I'm guessing we will see Orange-crowned
Warblers working the maple's flowers and unfurling leaves. A huge maple like that, which acts as a magnet for spring
migrants, is a definite assett for a Yard Bird Race!

good birding,

Jim Flynn
merlinmania at comcast.net
Seattle, WA