[Tweeters] Wilson Creek

wong chupaflor at igc.org
Sat Apr 7 10:38:45 PDT 2007

Hello Tweeters:
Yesterday (Fri.) at Wilson Creek rated 5 stars!  With clear skies and a warm
sun bathing us, we encountered close-up views of a perched PRAIRIE FALCON,
several WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS, nesting RAVENS, and a pair of nesting
FERRUGINOUS HAWKS.  We were also treated to an amazing display of aerial
interaction between an interesting group of four:  Two RED-TAILED HAWKS, a
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, and a SWAINSON'S HAWK.  After spending a little while
greeting each other, three went their separate ways, leaving the
rough-legged to us.
Other birds in the area:  YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS, TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS,
SAY'S PHOEBE'S, NORTHERN HARRIER, RING-NECKED PHEASANT, CALIFORNIA QUAIL,
and several ROCK WRENS (who serenaded us during most of our stay).  We were
a little surprised to find a NORTHERN SHRIKE here; a nice companion to the
LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE we'd seen on the Vantage Highway earlier in the day.

On the way to Wilson Creek, we stopped at Lake Lenore.  This was duck
heaven.  Beautiful RUDDY DUCKS in breeding attire, REDHEADS, MALLARDS,
RING-NECKED DUCK, GREATER SCAUP, BUFFLEHEAD, COMMON GOLDENEYE, EARED GREBES
(some in breeding plumage), and HORNED GREBES.

Ended the day at the Elk Heights burn.  The BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER was
there, along with a pair of HAIRY WOODPECKERS, and a pair of WESTERN
BLUEBIRDS.

It was a Good Friday.

happy birding,
isadora arevalo wong