[Tweeters] Elk Heights Burn Directions

Lynn Schulz linusq at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 9 22:14:49 PDT 2007

Hi Brendon and Tweeters:
Brian Bell sent a post on 4-1-07 about the Elk Hgts. Burn. Brian is right
about listening for these birds quietly scaling the bark. Patti C and I
were there on Mar 26, and were grateful that the wind was not blowing. A
male Blk-backed Woodpecker was about 40 feet up a 1ft. diam burned pine
tree. He was scraping and pecking very quietly, but we heard him, and
managed to then get great looks at him. It was about 3:30pm when we saw him
that day. No woodpeckers were flying or calling.
Yours, Carol Schulz, Des Moines, linusq at att.net.
Here is the msg from Brian w/ the DIRECTIONS:
From Brian Bell, 4-1-07
Hi Robert and Tweets

To reach the Elk Heights burn take I-90 east from Cle Elum to exit 93. At
the head of the off-ramp turn left and go to the stop sign. Turn left on
Thorp Prairie Road for about 3/4 or a mile or so - when the road gets back
very close to I-90 watch for a driveway with a metal gate on your right
(you
will see the burn on your right). Pull as far over to the right as
possible
and park (please don't block the driveway). You can work your way up the
bank there and then work the hill over. The birds have variously been seen
at the top of the hill, in the northwest corner, about midway up the hill
and most anyplace working east along the hillside. Best bet is to listen
for
them - their tap is rather soft. Lots of other good birds up there.

Good Birding

Brian H. Bell
Birding & Natural History Guide
Woodinville Wa