[Tweeters] Purple Martins Skagit

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 11:00:35 PDT 2007

Dear Tweeters,

As I pulled up to the Anacortes ferry terminal on the
morning of April 10, I noticed two PURPLE MARTINS in
the snag by the parking lot. Unfortunately, I was
escorting over 200 6th-graders to Orcas Island, so
could not spend much time with the birds.

At Camp Orkila (Orcas Island) was a BARRED OWL; I saw
it in the trees there, and some kids said that they
saw the owl eating a mouse. I later found a large,
grey mouse lying in the middle of a trail nearby--odd
find. One of the teachers said that a Pileated
Woodpecker was last seen chasing the owl through the forest!

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch

near Lyman (Skagit County), Washington

garybletsch at yahoo.com