[Tweeters] Jarstad Park and Bremerton Watershed Birding

hrudkaj mary hrudkajm at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 15 15:33:30 PDT 2007

I agree with Mary K that there is good birding in Jarstad Park in Gorst.
But please limit your birding to the park and the areas around the stream
and hatchery.

As section leader of that area for the Kitsap Audubon CBC we would like to
keep on good terms with the Watershed people as we have been fortunate in
years past to obtain their permission to do a count within the restricted
area of the watershed. There are lots of good birding areas within the
watershed ,however, with today's security as it is, you need a written
permit to go into the area. The watershed supplies all the drinking water
for Bremerton and Gorst so the area is watched carefully by watershed
employees. And I don't think just a ticket would be the results of being
found in there without a permit.

And with the damage done to the fish hatchery rearing ponds last year the
employees are even more watchful for people in areas where they don't
belong.

Since the CBC is in winter (it was a real treat getting soaked in there last
December) we only get an idea of what birds and waterfowl are there in that
season. I'm sure there are some delightful birds in spring and summer in
the park area that is open to the public.

If you are interesting in getting permission to go into the watershed their
office is just west of the park entrance on Old Belfair Hwy and there
usually is someone there Monday-Friday from 9 to 5.

Happy birding.

Mary Hrudkaj
Belfair/Tahuya