[Tweeters] Kirkland Townsend's Solitaire

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Tue Apr 24 11:21:49 PDT 2007

Everyone else has been seeing them, so I figured it was just a matter of
time for me.  Just now, a Townsend's Solitaire landed at our little pool in
the front yard for a drink.

Every year some birds are seen more than others in migration.  This has been
a good year for solitaires (though I've seen them in lowland King County in
5 previous years as well).   I don't think it's been as good a year for
Moutain Bluebird sightings in the county though, nor perhaps for Say's
Phoebe.

It's probably a combination of there being a few more TOSOs this year, a
chance factor, and a what's-on-your-mind thing.   Townsend's Solitaires and
Say's Phoebe are easy birds to overlook, as are female Mountain Bluebirds.
When everyone's been seeing solitaires, though, you start paying a bit more
attention to robin-like birds that are flying a bit funny...

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== birdmarymoor at verizon.net