[Tweeters] Eurasian Collared Dove continues near Brady

Ruth and/or Patrick Sullivan godwit513 at msn.com
Wed Apr 25 20:59:21 PDT 2007

Hello Tweets,

This afternoon we birded a few hours in the Brady-Elma area in search of shorebird and passerine migrants,etc between 12pm-5pm. The weather remained cloudy with quite a few rain showers,but overall birding was very good. Our main highlight of he afternoon was a EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE observed at 12:30pm at the extreme northeast corner of Brady Loop Rd. at the Crestview Farms. We observed the bird perched in a large leafless tree on the property,where we kindly asked permission to obtain a few photos of the bird. This is very likely the same individual bird than reported by Paul and Barbara Webster this past weekend during their birding trip to Pacific and Grays Harbor Cos. This was apparently the first record for Grays Harbor Co. to our knowledge so a great bird that they discovered and reported. We searched again for the bird after birding the general Brady Loop Rd. area after 4pm with Marv Breece,but were unable to locate the bird. We did however speak with 2 residents that live near the location where the bird was today,who indicated to us that there are 2 Eurasian Collared Doves. They also told us they believe the bird may be breeding in a nearby grove of trees near their property and have been present for at least 2 weeks now. They also noted hearing the birds calling most often during the early morning. Whatever the case it was nice to get some more knowledge on a species we figured would eventually show up here!

After watching the Eurasian Collared Dove early in the day we continued along the eastern portion of Brady Loop Rd.,where we ran into Tom Aversa. He was scoping a recently plowed field north of Gillis Street,where he informed us that a likely basic plumaged American Golden Plover was with Black-bellied Plovers. We pulled off along the side of the road to begin searching for the bird. At the point before we arrived he wasn't able to see the wing projection good enough to safely call the bird as an Am.Golden Plover. After 10 minutes of scoping the plowed fields we finally located the golden plover in question and got good views of the primary projections that did appear to extend beyond the tail. The bird overall was rather drab with just a very few splotches of black on the belly with brighter areas on the head and face that were somewhat buffy in color. The back seemed fairly brown overall with areas of white flecking. We felt confident at the time the bird was indeed an AM.GOLDEN PLOVER.

After working our way around the outer loop of Brady Loop Rd. we made a side excursion to Friend's Landing near Montesano to try for passerines. As we arrived to this location the rain showers began to end allowing for a nice walk through the lush riparian area along the paved trail. Here, we located a nice assortment of songbirds with an emphasis of spring arrivals. A list of notable species encountered at this location and from a nearby marshy area across the road from Friend's Landing include the following:

1 Common Loon
4 Greater Scaup
1 Greater Yellowlegs
5 Northern Rough-winged Swallows
2 Hermit Thrushes
2 Varied Thrushes
3 Orange-crowned Warblers
15 Yellow-rumped"Myrtle"Warblers
2 "Sooty"Fox Sparrows
3 Purple Finches

After arriving back to the Brady Loop Rd area we first birded along the northern portion of the road,then made the drive along Foster Rd. Along the southern portion of Foster Rd. we located a very crisp,breeding plumaged PACIFIC GOLDEN PLOVER amongst a small gathering of Black-bellied Plovers in a corn stubble field along the west side of the road. Here, before the flock moved further into the field we obtained a few photographs of the Pacific Golden Plover, then we ran into Marv Breece. We all got great,but distant views of the same bird,as we all exchanged sightings and enjoyed great company. Within a short time of watching the breeding plumaged Pacific Golden Plover we detected the drabber basic plumaged Am.Golden Plover that foraged in the same vicinity,but was much more difficult to keep on and see. Other shorebird species of note within the same field included 3 Semipalmated Plovers, 25+ Least Sandpipers, 40 Dunlin, and 60+ Short-billed Dowitchers. As we watched both birds for some time a small flock of geese flew in overhead from the east that contained 6 Greater White-fronted Geese and the 2 BARNACLE GEESE! Our efforts trained on the geese flock,as the whirled around ad eventually landed in the same stubble field as he shorebirds,but closer to the more flooded areas. We were all treated to great views of the 2 Barnacle Geese,as the walked with the Greater White-fronted Geese as they all slowly moved away from the water and closer to the far edge of the field. The rain began to come down quite heavy now,as a large group of 200+ Greater White-fronted Geese flew overhead,as they drifted westward.

We have placed 2 photos of the Pacific Golden Plover and the Eurasian Collared Dove onto our website,which cane be accessed at the following link: http://www.pbase.com/godwit/recent_photos/

Other highlights from the Brady Loop Rd. complex included the following species:

6 Cinnamon Teal
7 Turkey Vultures
3 Osprey(including one pair at a nesting platform along the eastern portion of Brady Loop Rd.)
1 Merlin
1 male Ring-necked Pheasant
65+ Whimbrel
17 Greater Yellowlegs
1 Lesser Yellowlegs
40+ Least Sandpipers
10 Wilson's Snipe
2 Western Scrub Jays
300+ Am.Pipits

On our way home we made a quick drive along Wenzel Slough Rd.,where we first located a gathering of 125+ Band-tailed Pigeons roosting in large Black Cottonwood trees along Keys Rd. Next, along the western portion of Wenzel Slough Rd. we located 12 Long-billed Dowitchers with 8 Greater Yellowlegs in a flooded area just east of the Goere's Farm. Nearby, a flight of 10 Whimbrel irrupted up from freshly plowed fields. Further east we ended the day with a nice adult Cooper's Hawk cruising low close to the Satsop River.

Additional sightings in the Elma area include 200+ Greater White-fronted Geese flying north of Elma,as well as a Spotted Sandpiper in a wetland area along Hwy.8 immediately east of Elma.

Good birding,

Ruth and Patrick Sullivan
godwit513 at msn.com