[Tweeters] Mountain Quail near Satsop this morning (Grays Harbor Co.)

Tim O'Brien kertim7179 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 29 18:33:00 PDT 2007

I woke up real early this morning and drove up Newman Creek Rd. to the A2300 logging road with the hopes of finding Mountain Quail.  As I pulled up to my waiting spot, I heard at least 3 Sooty Grouse nearby.  As the light increased, one male Sooty Grouse flew out of the brush and landed on the far side of the road in plain view.  I watched him display for a few minutes until he got wind of me and took off.  With that, I thought I was done and just to be sure I drove up the A2300 a little further and found a Ruffed Grouse in the road which quickly flushed.  Not bad I thought, so I pulled up to the next side road, which was the A2302, to turn around and looking up that road I saw two birds in the middle of the road.  Mountain Quail!  They stayed in the road for about a minute allowing me an attempt to take their picture which turned out very badly due to not enough light..

  I passed the Sullivans on my way down so I'm hoping they got a look at the grouse and quail.  And maybe better pictures!

  Tim O'Brien
  Elma, WA
  mailto: kertim7179 at yahoo.com