[Tweeters] Kent Birding

Kathy Andrich chukarbird at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 09:39:03 PDT 2007

Hi Tweeters,

I was able to get to some recently posted about places
last night in Kent after work.

The 212th ponds had about 8 Long-billed Dowitchers,
one Lesser Yellowlegs, one Semi-palmated Sandpiper,
about a dozen Least Sandpipers, a couple each of
Kildeer and Spotted Sandpipers. The lighting here in
the evening is outstanding (when the sun is
shining-which is not this morning...). I had to pull
myself away. Any shorebird photographers will be in
heaven, just as long they forget these are temporary
construction ponds. Poor shorebirds really have to
make do with what they can find.

I went to the south tower in Kent to observe the
Northern Harriers, and look for the Red-shouldered
Hawk (not there). I only saw one fledgling harrier,
it was really quiet on that front. But the ducks were
interesting. I finally saw the Ruddy Duck Carole
Schulz had told me she had seen several weeks ago, he
was really pretty with the aqua blue bill. He had a
female with him. Hanging out together were one
eclipse male Northern Pintail and one male
Green-winged Teal. The ducks here move around a lot
and there are a lot of hiding places. On the census a
few weeks ago we saw two Ring-necked Ducks and an
American Wigeon, some other fairly notable summer
ducks. Last night a Green Heron flew around squawking
about something.

Kathy
Roosting in S King County