[Tweeters] Mason Cty shorebirds

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 5 13:42:34 PDT 2007

Dear Tweeters,

On August 4 I made a rare visit to Mason County, and
lucked onto some shorebirds at Belfair State Park. It
was low tide. There were at least 35 Killdeer, two
Long-billed Dowitchers, 25 Least Sandpipers, 6 Western
Sandpipers, and a SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER. These birds
were all in a little scooped-out bay at the park,
although dog-walkers eventually scared all the
shorebirds out onto a grassy point nearby.

I was also pleased to see a nice little flock of
apparent migrants, in the trees near a beat-up old
picnic table and a gardening waste dump. This was at
the end of a line of trees extending toward the
saltwater, between campground and day-use area. There
was a Rufous Hummingbird, a Pacific-slope Flycatcher,
a Hutton's Vireo, two or three Black-throated Grey
Warblers, a Wilson's Warbler, and a Black-headed
Grosbeak. Lots of Black-capped and Chestnut-backed
Chickadees, some Brown Creepers and Red-breasted
Nuthatches, and family groups of American Robin,
White-crowned Sparrow, and Spotted Towhees were also
in that one little spot.

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch

near Lyman (Skagit County), Washington