[Tweeters] Ptarmigan at Mt. Rainier

David Hayden dtvhm at nwrain.com
Sat Aug 4 19:27:56 PDT 2007

On Saturday 8/4/7, Kristin Stewart of the Black Hills Audubon led a
field trip at Paradise, Mt. Rainier. The mountain remained  in the sun
for most of  the morning, but by 1:00pm, clouds starting moving in. We
started the morning with a stop at Longmire, where we had 3 Red
Crossbills, 4 Vaux's Swifts, Chestnut-backed Chickadees, Gray Jays, and
1 Hutton's Vireo. We then arrived at Paradise about 8:00am. Our group
was treated to 1 Evening Grosbeak and 7 Black-tailed Deer right next to
the parking lot. The group of deer consisted of 1 doe and 6 bucks
ranging from a spike to a 4-point. We hiked out of Paradise and went up
the GoldenGate Trail. Along the way we had another buck, this one was a
5-point, 2 Rufous Hummingbirds, and American Pipits with lots of
immatures. At the intersection of the Golden Gate Trail and the Skyline
Trail we had several Pine Siskins. We hiked  about another 1/2 mile up
the Skyline Trail to where the trail cuts back to the left and starts
going up. We heard "cluck" noises. We walked a little further up to
where we could look down in  the wet meadow, with a small stream, and
spotted a female White-tailed Ptarmigan with 4 chicks. Around the corner
of the trail where the Lower Skyline Trail "T"'s into the Skyline Trail,
we heard Gray-crowned Rosy Finches, but we were unsuccessful finding
them.. We ate our lunch at the rock outcropping along the Lower Skyline
Trail, before heading back down. On the way back, we once again checked
for the Ptarmigan, and found them closer to the trail down below. The
wildflowers were great, but still not prime time. The Lupines are just
getting ready to bloom. As for butterflies, only 5 species; California
Tortoiseshell, Milbert's Tortoiseshell, Edith's Checkerspot, Silvery
Blue, Arctic Blue, and a fritillary species, either a Mormon or one of
the lessers.

Dave Hayden
dtvhm AT nwrain.com
Centralia, WA