[Tweeters] Grays Harbor NWR today

Tim O'Brien kertim7179 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 11 21:49:09 PDT 2007

Today I walked the Sandpiper Trail at the Grays Harbor NWR in Hoquiam.  Shorebird numbers were good with at least 5,000 birds present.  Western Sandipers dominated, but there was an impressive showing of Least Sandpipers as well.  It was hard to not have both species present in the scope at the same time.  Semipalmated Plovers numbered in the 100s and 2 Lesser Yellowlegs were present.

  I watched a mass of comorants feeding in the waters of the refuge when two adult Bald Eagles started swooping down at the water where the comorants were.  The eagles did not appear to be going after comorants, but instead I believe they were trying to catch the same small fish that the comorants were after.  It was a bit comical though watching the comorants dive each time an eagle would come down to the water then poke their heads back up after the eagle gained some altitude.

  Tim O'Brien
  Elma, WA
  mailto: kertim7179 at yahoo.com