[Tweeters] Weird seagull behavior

Ted C. cuddeford at zhonka.net
Sun Aug 19 14:13:46 PDT 2007

Dayna,

 I would witness this same behavior when I use to live in downtown Olympia.
There are several warehouses that the sea gull would roost and raise their
young. I could see these from my apartment. Every so often the gulls would
go nuts just as you described. Most of the time it was Bald Eagles going
after the young gulls that couldn't fly yet. A few times it was some other
bird of prey looking for an easy dinner. It was sometimes hard to figure out
what bird of prey was the one in the middle of the gulls since there were so
many gulls flying in that tornado fashion.

My wife witness one of these events. The Bald Eagle circled around and got
all of the gulls worked up. But one of gulls that was in the bay down by
East bay drive didn't take off with the rest of them. Needless to say the
Eagle swooped down to get the gull. The gull try to get airborne but was a
little late. The Eagle picked off the gull as it was trying to take off just
like it was a fish. It flew up the bay with the struggling gull. My wife was
quite surprised with the whole event. I guess it just goes to show if your
not up in the air you make an east target.

Ted
Lacey, WA
N47 03.442 W122 49.108
Thank GOD for Thomas Edison. Without him we would all be watching TV by
candle light.