[Tweeters] Lincoln, Whitman, and Spokane Counties, 8/20/07

Michael Woodruff crazybirder98 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 20 19:29:55 PDT 2007

I birded a number of migrant traps for shorebirds and passerines in Lincoln,
Whitman, and Spokane Counties today, 8/20/07.  I encountered a high number
of birds in most areas, with good diversity.  I was impressed with the
passerine numbers for this early date.  Outlined below are some of the areas
visited.

Reardan Ponds, Lincoln County (10:15-10:30).  Some decent mud on the east
side of the road, though far out.

Baird's Sandpiper -2
Solitary Sandpiper -1
Western Sandpiper -30
Least Sandpiper -5
Red-necked Phalarope -4
Killdeer -1
Eared Grebe -80
American Coot -1500
Assorted ducks, including Redhead, Canvasback, Shoveler, Ruddy Duck,
Gadwall, Bufflehead

Davenport Cemetery, Lincoln County (11-11:45am).  A large group of
orange-coated workers mowing and weed-whacking made things difficult, but I
still found some goodies away from the noise.

Wilson's Warbler -1
Townsend's Warbler -1
Yellow Warbler -1
Nashville Warbler -1
Yellow-rumped Warbler -1
AMERICAN REDSTART -1 female/subadult
Dusky Flycatcher -2
Hammond's Flycatcher -1
Western Tanager -3
Bullock's Oriole -1
Pine Siskin -12
Cassin's Finch -8

In some willows along the creek in Davenport, I found another Wilson's
Warbler and Western Tanager, as well as 2 Rufous and 1 Calliope Hummingbird.

Harrington Cemetery, Lincoln County (12:30-1pm).

Wilson's Warbler -8
Yellow Warbler -1
Townsend's Warbler -1
Warbling Vireo -1
Olive-sided Flycatcher -4

Along Hwy 23 between mileposts 40 and 41, there was a lot of really nice mud
at close range.  Here I found Baird's -5, SEMIPALMATED -2, and Western
Sandpipers -15, Lesser -4 and Greater Yellowlegs -2, Wilson's Phalarope -1,
and Black-necked Stilt -1, as well as 40 Red-necked Phalaropes out on the
water.  This can be a great spot when the water levels are right, which is
right now!

Sheep Lake, Whitman County (1:45-2:05pm).  There's good mud now in a number
of areas.

Baird's Sandpiper -32 counted
Western Sandpiper -4
Least Sandpiper -7
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER -3
Lesser Yellowlegs -4
Bufflehead -1
Hooded Merganser -6

My final stop was in Spokane County along Cheney-Spangle Rd, oddly enough
between Cheney and Spangle.  There are ponds on both sides of the road a
couple miles north of the turn to Philleo Lake Rd.  Here I found Lesser
Yellowlegs -30 (counted), Solitary Sandpiper -8, Least Sandpiper -2, STILT
SANDPIPER -1, and Killdeer -5.  This is shaping up to be a good spot as
migration continues.  Thanks to Terry Little for alerting me.

It was good to get out and check a number of local hotspots and catch a bit
of migration.  It will only get better from here.

Michael Woodruff
Spokane, WA