[Tweeters] Skagit Birding

Ryan Merrill rmerrill27 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 22:57:59 PST 2007

Tom Aversa and I birded up in the Skagit/Snohomish area today. The Skagit
WMA hosted four White-throated Sparrows, at least one Slate-colored Junco,
and a mostly-Yellow-shafted Flicker.

The biggest surprise of the day was an immature Black Brant in with the Snow
Goose flock at the Hayton/Snow Goose Reserve. There was also an immature
Blue Goose (different bird than the imm I had on 5 Nov) and four minima
Cackling Geese in the flock. Along Maupin Road near the Jensen Access were
some more Snow Geese that included an adult Blue Goose. A Double-crested
Cormorant standing on the road while we drove past certainly wasn't feeling
well.

Up at Samish Island there was an Orange-crowned Warbler and late in the day
we had the Ruff on Boe Road with a flock of 112 Killdeer and 3 snipe.

Yesterday there was a very bright Pacific Golden-Plover on the north side of
the road between the Samish T and the West 90 on the Samish Flats, but we
failed to find it today.

Good Birding,
Ryan Merrill
Kirkland, WA